Sunday 21 September 2008

First Aid Centre in the Camp.

I can now confirm that I am definitely neither macho nor intrepid. I was sitting in a family’s hut while they told me their story – on my way out, I managed to smack my head on the doorframe and ended up with a bleeding gash to my head.

There’s a small first aid centre in the camp where they managed to sort me out. Located in the south of the camp near the main road, the centre is staffed by overworked Ugandan volunteers who can perform basic first aid; they also decide who, if anyone, will be transferred to the hospital. The hospital is several kilometres away by truck – or even bicycle ambulance. There are serious shortages of staff and supplies at the hospital, so they only send the people who absolutely have to go. Fortunately, Im not one of them!